By: Erna Dyanty
When I first started to cook, one of the recipes my father taught me was how to cook a can of sardines. He says it’s a cooks’ survival kit. If you want to know if a person can cook, you try their sardines cooked in tomato sauce. This fish in a can is great to eat with rice or even taken straight out of the can with a squeeze of lime dunked with bread.
Here’s a simple yet very delicious recipe to whip that can of sardine into a family favourite – guaranteed to stay on your menu. Great served with steamy rice or simply dipped with bread and done in 15 minutes!
Sardines cooked in Tomato Sauce
1 can medium can of sardine in tomato sauce
1 large onion (quartered)
2 garlic – (sliced)
1 large tomato – (quartered)
2 large green chilis – (halved)
3 tbspn of tamarind juice
Salt and sugar to taste
3 tbspn of cooking oil
How to make Sardines in Tomato Sauce:
1) Heat the oil and sauté the onions until slightly softened.
2) Add the can of sardines. Add to it about 3 tbspn of water and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
3) Once the sauce has thickened slightly, add the chilli and tomatoes till softened.
4) Season the sauce with salt and sugar to taste.
5) Add the tamarind juice 1 spoon at a time and taste in between. Your sauce should not taste too sour, the tamarind should give your sardine sauce a rounded flavour that balances the salt and sugar.
6) Ready to serve with rice or dipped with bread.
Optional: If you do not have tamarind juice, you can use kasturi lime juice as a substitute.